The Bulleid and Gray hut

This is the site hut used by Arthur Bulleid and Harold St George Gray when they were excavating the Iron Age Meare Lake Villages between 1909 and 1956. It was used again in the early 1980’s when the Somerset Levels Project was excavating there.  It is thought to be the oldest surviving archaeological excavation hut in the world. It has been restored by the South West Heritage Trust and is part of the collection of the Museum of Somerset. One room of it has now been adapted to show films on the local heritage, forming Britain’s smallest cinema.

Bulleid and Gray

Bulleid (left) and Gray (right) pictured in the hut in 1935